History

Celebrating 70 Years as a Family Run Business

Located a short five miles Northwest of Green Bay, there exists the settlement of Mill Center.  Previously known as Mills Centre, Mills Center, Milltown and Millcenter.  The area was heavily timbered with beech, maple, oak, pine, ash, elm, birch and basswood.  These dense forests reached unbroken throughout this entire area, watered by the Suamico River and numerous small streams.  This district became a magnet for the lumber industry.  The sawmills around Mill Center were responsible for the naming.  These mills made this vincinity famous for the next twenty years as the “greatest milling section in the state and even the Northwest.”  It was the boast of the town for many years that for breakfast, dinner and supper, they could hear the whistles of thirty mills.

Mill Center settlers brought various trades with them.  Among these people was Elbridge Boyden who was Postmaster for many years at the first post office obtained on August 2, 1867.  Along with his wife, Henrietta, Elbridge also started a General Store in Mill Center which did a thriving business.  John W. Withbro, a Norwegian, was the first blacksmith, harness maker, and shoe mender of Mill Center.  The first cheese factories started in 1879.  The John Brown & Son S. Olson and L. Goodchild cheese factories were located around Mill Center.

The Mill Center school was established in 1856 with an attendance of nearly on hundred students and taught by just one teacher, Moses Bunnell.

In 1904, Edward Lawler built the town’s tavern, food, and lodging establishment which served as a stopover for weary travelers journeying to Green Bay in horse drawn wagons and buggies.  In 1947, Clarence & Isabelle Kropp purchased this local landmark, now known as Kropp’s Supper Club.

One of the earliest settlers of this community was Luther Wilson.  He donated the land for the Mill Center Cemetery and the Methodist church which was built in 1882.

Many men and women were instrumental in the development of Mill Center... Luther & Wealthy Wilson, Elbridge & Henrietta Boyden, William & Louise Pamperin, Henry & Adam Brookhyser, J.D. Mason, Matthew Lynch, John & Edward Lawler, Clarence & Eva Dickinson, N.C. Foster, William and Alma Hubbard, and Albert & Nettie Pamperin.  Tribute also goes to the peaceful lives of the Menominee and Potawatomi Indians whose ancestors held possession here for hundreds of years.